Cheltenham Bowls Club was founded in 1907. W.H.Barnett was the first president and R.McFarlane the first secretary. Local residents called a meeting and a Bowls Club was established in Cheltenham Park near the Railway Station. In 1927, a block of land in Holmby Road was obtained, the transfer to the new green being accomplished in 1930. By 1945, a larger area of about two acres was obtained at the present site on the corner of Wilson Street and Centre Dandenong Road and a twelve rink green was ready in 1947.
Electric lights were installed over one green in 1954 when the green was divided to make sixteen rinks. A liquor licence was granted in 1977. The Club was incorporated in 1984 and ladies were admitted to Full membership in 1986. In 1955 both greens were totally reconstructed and further major work was done prior to the 2008-2009 season. The East green was converted from a bent grass green to a Tifdwarf green in 2016 ready for the 2017-18 season. The West green was converted to Tifdwarf 2018 for readiness 2019-2020 season. Solar power was installed at the Club in 2017.